New Book: How To Create A School Food Garden
This book is packed with brilliant, practical suggestions for establishing and maintaining an inexpensive Seed Saver garden.
Schools are currently eligible for government grants to help establish organic food gardens, and by using this guide, success can be yours.
About the authors:
* Jo Immig is an environmental scientist and co-ordinator of the National Toxics Network, who has written several books including the ‘The Toxic Playground’ and ‘Safer Solutions’ which detail how to avoid hazardous chemicals and better safeguard children’s health from environmental pollution;
* Jude Fanton is a co-founder of Seed Savers, an inspiring gardener and educator who confesses that she is a “long-time dreamer of food gardens in schools”.
This easy to read, simple to follow and engagingly illustrated book is based on the authors’ many years work with edible gardens and children in a learning environment.
‘Seed to Seed Food Gardens in Schools’ features:
* Dozens of class activities – what teachers need to prepare and plan for;
* Special resources – books, websites, resource centres, sources of traditional (non-hybrid) seed companies, and a list of sixty-six Local Seed Networks around Australia which offer seed and planting resources suited to local climates;
This book grew out of the creation of a food garden at Byron Bay Public School. Photos of that process illustrate the book, along with stimulating black and white drawings throughout by Dr Liz Elliott.
You can buy a hard copy from Seed Savers in black and white with a coloured cover for only $20.00 post paid, or for free as a full colour downloadable pdf from our website, http://www.seedsavers.net.
Seed Savers’ invites you to pass news of this publication on to anyone that would like their children to learn about growing health-giving food at school or in a community garden.
To order, send $20.00 cheque or money order to Seed Savers Network at the postal address below, or, if by credit card, contact phone numbers below. Email enquiries for orders contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Seed Savers: Saving the Genetic Diversity of Tomorrow’s Food
Box 975, Byron Bay, NSW 2481, Australia
Tel (61) 02 6685 7560
Tel/Fax (61) 02 6685 6624
Mobile: 0432 549 825
See Seed Savers’ extensive and interactive website with a virtual tour of The Seed Centre in Byron Bay: http://www.seedsavers.net
* Michel Fanton, co-founder of Seed Savers, receives emails at: email@example.com
* General enquiries should be sent to our Seed Banker, Loretta Faulkner, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Seed Savers’ Foundation